Archive for October, 2001

Cemeteries

Tuesday, October 30th, 2001


More than 2-million people die in the U.S. each year. That works out to about 5,500 burials a day, with roughly 80 percent taking the long goodbye in a casket, and the remaining 20 percent electing to be cremated or finding some alternative method of crossing eternity’s threshold. We take a look at dealing with the dead throughout the centuries, and at today’s $20-billion funeral industry. Any way you look at it, it’s a healthy business, with new generations of customers year after year!

Bunkers

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2001


From the earliest bunkers of WWI through the ultra-futuristic ones of tomorrow’s wars, we trace the story of defensive fortifications. In the constant struggle to hold off ever more potent forms of attack, bunkers function in a variety of forms. Three mammoth block structures comprise a submarine bunker at Lorient, France, able to house 20 subs. We visit Churchill’s Cabinet War Room and Hitler’s Berlin bunker, as well as backyard Cold War bunkers and those that protect nuclear weapons themselves.

Work Clothes

Wednesday, October 17th, 2001


Modern Marvels looks at Work Clothes

Gene Hackman

Monday, October 15th, 2001


Actor Gene Hackman is interviewed about his career.

Burt Reynolds

Monday, October 8th, 2001


Actor Burt Reynolds is interviewed about his career.

Ben Stiller

Monday, October 1st, 2001


Comedian and actor Ben Stiller is interviewed about his career.